Thursday 19 January 2012

MUMBAI ROCKS!

I've now been in Mumbai for nearly two weeks and so much has happened in such a short space of time. I've seen cows on street corners, monkeys on leads, bananas the size of my pinky finger and such a whirlwind of traffic, it's a wonder I am still alive!

So to put things into context and help you understand why I'm here, this post is going to be an overview of the projects that I'm going to be involved with other the next 8 weeks.

DHARAVI ROCKS with BlueFROG and the ACORN FOUNDATION
DHARAVI ROCKS is a joint educational project between blueFROG and Acorn Foundation, an NGO working for the welfare of slum children and waste collectors/ragpickers. The idea came to reality when, wanting to get involved in environmental and social issues and give less privileged communities access to music, blueFROG tied up with ACORN Foundation which understands the value in combining arts and education.
Dharavi Rocks educates, improves learning skills, self-discipline, self-confidence, encourages teamwork, improves social skills, temperament and community life. This partnership with ACORN Foundation's Dharavi Project aims to raise awareness about the rag picker / waste collector community and their key role in society as recycling agents. We aim to legitimise them as members of a paid work force "green collar workers" and not unpaid slum dwellers and highlight Dharavi's contribution to Mumbai as a key place for recycling. (From BlueFROG'S website www.bluefrog.co.in)

The project has immense energy and the thing that strikes me about it is how much the kids value it in their lives. Some spend up to 2 and a half hours each way traveling to Dharavi Rocks in st Xavier's College, after having spent a whole day working to earn money for their families. The commitment and dedication to the music and dancing that the kids display is something rare, raw and completely inspiring. See the pictures below!
I'll be working with Dharavi Rocks and BlueFROG to try and help them figure out where they want the project to go next, how they develop the program of work to make sure it achieves its potential in the future. I will be finding about how an organisation like BlueFROG connects and interacts with an impoverished community like Dharavi.


MiniFROG at BlueFROG CIROC SUNDAY BRUNCH
Three years ago my current mentor, Vicky Cave, set up MiniFROG to involve more children in BlueFROG's activity. During the Sunday Brunch children have the opportunity to take part in art activities but this has somewhat dwindled a bit and needs a bit of input. I will be working with Priya (who currently runs miniFROG) to develop a new program of ideas including music, to attract more children and help it to fit in with BlueFROG's ethos.


FINDING YOUNG MUSICIANS
Whilst I'm here, I am going to be spending some time meeting young musicians at the start of their music careers. I will be finding out how they've developed their skills and where they see their careers going. I want to know what training needs they have and whether they have an interest in getting involved with doing workshops, and playing music for those who don't usually have access to it, as Live Music Now does in the UK. So this leads me to the focus of my blog for the future - HOW DOES A YOUNG MUSICIAN DEVELOP IN INDIA? more to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment