Wednesday 14 March 2012

LAST POSTING...for now...



If anyone had told me in March last year that in a year's time I would have been to Mumbai on a Live Music Now and Creative Scotland solo residency, I would have laughed in disbelief! The past 3 months been such an enriching and fulfilling experience, I know I am really going to have a hard time explaining to people at home just how amazing it has been, so if you see me over the next few weeks/months, you'll just have to bare with me!

My last week kicked off in true style with a me leading a workshop in music for personal and professional for 40 social workers, NGO based practitioners, and people from a wide variety of settings at Tata Institute of Social Sciences. I set this up right at the start of my time in Mumbai, through my arty auntie, Liz Kemp, who has worked with TISS for several years. When I heard there were 40 participants (the day before the workshop) I had a small scream and ate a lot of chocolate, but when it came to it, the day went really well! I got some fantastic feedback, so by the end of the day I was sitting on the train back from Chembur, lolling off, grinning!

I am delighted that I have made a real impact on some childrens' music education in school with Ayush. On Tuesday when Ayush said "this is Laura's last session with you, because on Saturday she's going back to Scotland", there were some hilarious responses from the classes including:

"Why?...Why?!....WHY?!"

and

"DON'T go, please stay!"

I still have ringing in my ears from all the children saying at the end of the day: "BYE LAURA TEACHER!!!!"
I am really going to miss seeing so many kids getting involved with no inhibitions and enjoying themselves with music...and will definitely miss this cheeky face!
So tonight is the very last Dharavi Rocks workshop...I'll do a final update before I'm off on the journey home...LOTS STILL TO PACK IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment